Community Revitalization Award
In 1996 the Poland branch of Home Savings and Loan wanted to demolish a small vacant house on College Street. A concerned group of citizens worked together to save the 1860’s home, keeping it part of the historic fabric of the Village. The citizen’s group formed the Poland Preservation Society and undertook a renovation of the home which included a new roof, replacement of exterior siding with the historically accurate hardy board, and removal of a modern east side porch returning its doorway to a window for the dining room. Interior work included new plumbing, upgraded wiring, a new furnace, plaster repair, and painting. Rental of the home paid off the construction project loan, and the Preservation Society continues periodic maintenance of the house.