101 E. Boardman Street • Youngstown, OH
Commercial Revitalization Award
Owners: Western Reserve Port Authority (WRPA) and Eastern Gateway Community College (EGCC)
Project Designer: Paul Hagman, RBF Colab
Project Nominator: Arthur Daly, Senior Vice President, EGCC
Year Rehabilitated: 2018
Year built: 1920
Original Owner: East Ohio Gas Company
Original Architect: Unknown
Original Use: Utility payment lobby
The two-story structure, known for many years as the Harshman Building, was originally built by the East Ohio Gas Company. The expansive corner windows on the first floor will now serve as open classrooms in this adaptive reuse project.
During the construction phase, decorative plaster friezes and columns were discovered throughout the first floor, having been entombed during previous renovations. The new owners agreed to celebrate the history of this structure by retaining those elements and exposing them once again. A “simple elegance” and “excellent, light touch” were appreciated by the judges’ panel with regard to the Art Deco details.
In addition, much exterior work was conducted to repair years of deferred maintenance and almost a decade of 100% vacancy. The roof was entirely replaced, exterior stone work inspected, pointed, and cleaned, and new lighting installed.
EGCC’s Health Education and Workforce building project, combined with the renovations at their Thomas Humphries Hall across the street, will make a great impact on the east end of downtown Youngstown.