120 Market Street • Youngstown, OH
Community Revitalization Award
Owner: Mahoning County Commissioners – David Ditzler, Carol Rimedio-Righetti, and Anthony Traficanti; Clerk of the Board – Nancy Laboy
Owner Representatives: Purchasing Director – James Fortunato; Consultants – Paul J. Ricciuti, FAIA and Norma J. Stefanik, RA
Project Designers: ms consultants, inc; Perspectus Historic Architecture, Barber & Hoffman Consulting Engineers, and The Architects Incorporated
Project Nominator: Paul J. Ricciuti, FAIA
Year Rehabilitated: 2016-2020
Year built: 1907-1910
Original Owner: Mahoning County Commissioners
Original Architect: Owsley & Boucherle
Original Use: Mahoning County Courthouse
This Second Renaissance Revival building replaced the first courthouse located at the southeast corner of Wood Street and Wick Avenue in downtown Youngstown. The latter structure was built as part of the contentious naming of the county seat in Youngstown versus Canfield, Ohio. The present courthouse was designed by the distinguished firm of Owsley & Boucherle and built by George Caldwell and Lester Drake well over a hundred years ago and remains in its original use today.
The Mahoning County Courthouse exterior restoration completes a well-planned phase, championed by Commissioners Ditzler, Rimedio-Righetti, and Traficanti. The project was heralded by the judges’ panel for its dedication to original building materials (granite, limestone, and copper) and quality preservation work, including the undoing of previous renovation mistakes.
Exterior areas of focus included the reconstruction of the terra cotta, steel supports, and flashing of the parapets and ballustrades; replacement of the roof with a redundant SBS system and liquid flashing; replacement of the copper gutters’ liner and flashing; restoration of the pedestals beneath the rooftop statues; repair of granite treads and addition of handrails to the front steps; replacement of spawled brick, point, lintels, and windows in the roof light wells; and finally a power-washing of the entire exterior’s granite and terra cotta.
The restoration of the copper statues at the top of the building was also recognized separately in 2018 (link to the copper statues blog page) with an MVHS Historic Preservation Award.